Brit dad dies from poisoning on family holiday to Disney World in Florida

A British dad has died on a family trip to Disneyland after being poisoned by fentanyl.

Philip Weybourne, 40, from West Malling in Kent, was at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida with his wife and young son in May when he suddenly collapsed at a bar.

An inquest at County Hall in Maidstone heard he was then rushed to hospital, where his condition rapidly deteriorated and died shortly after.

Toxicology reports showed he had fatal levels of fentanyl in his system, a powerful synthetic opioid described by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration as the “single deadliest drug threat our nation has ever encountered.”

Fentanyl is much more potent than heroin, and very small amounts can cause severe clinical effects or death.

Just two milligrams of fentanyl is considered a potentially lethal dose.

In a statement read at the hearing, his wife, Dorlyn Weybourne said: “We began our holiday at Disneyland, in Orlando, Florida, on May 20, 2022.

“On May 23, we woke up late and had no theme parks to attend on that day.”

At around 1pm they ate at The Boathouse restaurant in Orlando, where they had “the best lunch” and drank champagne.

“Afterwards we went on an amphibious car ride and to end our day we headed back to the hotel at about 5.30pm.”

Mrs Weybourne explained that Mr Weybourne – the Middle East director of IT support company Excis Compliance Limited – wanted to continue drinking when they returned to the hotel.

After going for a shower, Philip headed to the Yacht Club hotel at Epcot Resorts Boulevard alone.

But just two hours later, Mrs Weybourne received a knock at her hotel room door, where she was informed her husband had been taken in an ambulance to hospital.

Recalling the moment she was told of his condition, she added: “I asked them if it was heat stroke or a heart attack.”

He was taken to AdventHealth Celebration, a small hospital in the town of Celebration which often provides care to people taken ill at Disney World.

Doctors there told Mrs Weybourne that her husband had died from a cardiac arrest. An autopsy showed he had fatal levels of fentanyl in his system.

Reflecting on her findings, assistant coroner Catherine Wood said: “This must have been very difficult and distressing for Mr Weybourne’s family.

“I don’t know the circumstances that led up to his death as Mr Weybourne died in another country.

“He had no underlying health issues and I am content, after the findings of the autopsy, that his death was caused by fatal levels of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid used as a pain medication.

“I offer my sincere condolences to Mr Weybourne’s family. It must have been a great shock and not something you needed to relive at the inquest.

“I hope you can begin to rebuild your lives.”

The Weybourne family did not wish to comment further on Philip’s death, saying at the inquest: “We spoke about Philip’s life at his funeral. It is time for closure.”